Please note that the Faculty of History is continuing to accept applications from visiting students with a view to start from January 2022. This may change depending on COVID-19 guidelines.
Please note that the Faculty is only accepting application fees via bank transfer or through the e-sales facility, using debit or credit card.
A small number of students each year come to the Faculty as 'visiting students' to undertake a short period of study or supervised research (typically from one month up to a maximum of one year). These are students who do not intend to become candidates for any Cambridge qualification, but who, in many cases, are registered graduate students at overseas institution.
Facilities and Resources
Visiting students will be able to access many of the same facilities as a full-time student. They will:
- be assigned a Supervisor who will work with them during their time at Cambridge;
- gain access to the Faculty’s Postgraduate Research Room and be allocated a pro–rata printing allowance (125 pages for each month of the visit);
- attend Faculty initiated events as detailed in the Postgraduate Training and transferable skills booklet including Faculty lectures and seminars, subject to availability, with the exception of teaching opportunities;
- obtain a letter from the Faculty, at the start of the visit, which should assist in gaining access to the Faculty’s Seeley Library and the University Library;
- receive a certificate of attendance toward the end of the visit.
Visiting Students Prospectus
Full information for visiting students, including information about accommodation, college membership and entry requirements can be found in our Visiting Students Prospectus.
Please note that the Faculty is closed, and is only accepting application fees via bank transfer or through the e-sales facility, using debit or credit card.
How to Apply
To apply, please send an email to email@example.com with 'Visiting Student Application: [Your Name]' as the email subject and attach the following documents:
- A full CV with a detailed covering letter stating why and the dates for which you wish to come to Cambridge;
- An outline of the research you propose to conduct while you are here;
- A letter of recommendation from your current supervisor or Head of Department. This letter should comment on the reasons why it would be helpful for you to spend time in Cambridge;
- Letter from Home University confirming: i. course title; ii. course start & end dates; and iii. that the period of study at Cambridge is part of your course;
- Proposed Supervisor – the name of the member of staff with whom you would like to work or whose interests have the greatest overlap with your own;
- Language test if English is not your native language (for the IELTS, 7.0 in each component and a total of 7.5);
- Academic transcripts of previous and ongoing degrees;
- The Visiting Student Application Form.
- Double-check you have included everything in your application with our Checklist.
Students are advised to submit their application as early as possible, and at least three months before the proposed visit to ensure there is sufficient time for processing. Please note that if you are non UK/EU student you will be liable to pay Council Tax for the duration of your stay, and if you are bringing your spouse you will both be liable to pay.
There is an non-refundable application fee of £50 which can be paid by cheque or postal order. Please see the Visiting Students Prospectus (p.6) for more information. Your application will not be processed by the Faculty until this payment has been received.