The Faculty can award the title of Visiting Scholar to those who are already engaged in, or are building, an academic career. Visiting Scholars hold a doctorate and are usually employed by a higher education institution.
All enquiries and applications should be sent to Mrs Joanne Pearson, the Faculty’s HR Clerk (firstname.lastname@example.org). Applications should comprise:
An academic curriculum vitae (up to a maximum of five sides of A4/quarto).
A covering letter incorporating the dates proposed for the visit, a brief statement (a maximum of one side of A4/quarto) of academic plans while resident in Cambridge and confirmation of whether shared office space is required within the Faculty.
Two academic references.
Applications for the title of Visiting Scholar will require the approval of the Faculty and are judged strictly on academic merit. It is essential that authorisation for a visit is sought well in advance so that, if approved, the Faculty can plan for the visit and ensure that the relevant facilities can be provided.
Facilities provided for Visiting Scholars
- A temporary Cambridge University e-mail address.
- An introduction to the University Library.
- Visiting Scholars will be invited to attend the Faculty’s research seminars.
- Visiting Scholars will be invited to attend various public events organised by the Faculty, such as the George Macaulay Trevelyan and John Robert Seeley Lectures.
- A shared “hot desking” room on the sixth floor of the Faculty contains a small number of desks and computers that are available to Visiting Scholars. It should be noted, however, that academic visitors wishing to use the Faculty as a base will be charged a higher rate of fee and, given the finite resources of the office, their overall number at any one time will be capped.
- Visiting Scholars are expected to meet the direct costs of photocopying, printing and other consumables/costs associated with their work.
In addition, the University’s Newcomers and Visiting Scholars Group, an organisation run by volunteers, aims to assist newly arrived partners and families of Visiting Scholars to settle down in Cambridge. Further details of the Group’s activities can be downloaded here.
Visiting Scholars can be associated with the Faculty for a maximum of twelve months. For scholars wishing to use the shared office in the Faculty, the termly fee is currently £600.00 per teaching term (there are three teaching terms in each academic year) or £60.00 per week for visits of less than one term in duration. Visiting Scholars not wishing to use the office facilities offered by the Faculty will be charged a fee of £300.00 per term. The rates include VAT.
The UK Border Agency’s website provides advice on visa applications and time-scales:
The Faculty of History is unable to help with accommodation, but the University’s Accommodation Service might be able to provide advice and assistance (tel: +44 (0)1223 338099, e-mail: email@example.com).