Fellow and Director of Studies in History at King's College
French History c.1650-1848. History of Political Thought, particularly in France. Origins of political economy, social science, anthropology.
18th century French political thought and political economy; the political thought of the French Revolution. Author of The Hatters of Eighteenth-Century France (1987); Work and Wages: Natural Law, Politics and the Eighteenth-Century French Trades (1989); Before the Deluge: Public Debt, Inequality and the Intellectual Origins of the French Revolution (2007); Sans-Culottes: An Eighteenth-Century Emblem in the French Revolution (2008); editor of Manufacture in Town and Country before the Factory (1983) and of Emmanuel Joseph Sieyès, Political Writings (2003).
- (with Maxine Berg and Pat Hudson (eds.), Manufacture in Town and Country before the Factory (Cambridge University Press, 1983)
- The Hatters of Eighteenth-Century France (University of California Press, 1987)
- Work and Wages: Natural Law, Politics and the Eighteenth-Century French Trades (Cambridge University Press, 1989)
- Editor and translator of Emmanuel Joseph Sieyès, Political Writings (Hackett, 2003)
- Before the Deluge: Public Debt, Inequality, and the Intellectual Origins of the French Revolution (Princeton University Press, 2007)
- Sans-Culottes: An Eighteenth-Century Emblem in the French Revolution (Princeton University Press, 2008)
- "The Nation's Debt and the Birth of the Modern Republic: the French Fiscal Deficit and the Politics of the Revolution of 1789", History of Political Thought (1997)
- "Fashion's Empire: Theories of Foreign Trade in Early Eighteenth-Century France", in Robert Fox and Anthony Turner (eds.), Innovation and Markets in Eighteenth-Century France (Hambledon Press), 1998
- "Enlightenment and Revolution", Journal of Modern History, 70 (1998).
- "Republicanism, State Finances and the Emergence of Commercial Society in Eighteenth-Century France - or from Royal to Ancient Republicanism and Back" in Quentin Skinner & Martin Van Gelderen (eds.), Republicanism a Shared Heritage, vol. 2 (Cambridge University Press, 2002)
- "Physiocracy as a Theodicy" History of Political Thought, 23 (2002), pp. 326-39
- "Property, Community and Citizenship", Cambridge History of Eighteenth-Century Political Thought (Cambridge, 2006)