Vere Harmsworth Professor Emeritus, University of Cambridge
Professor of History, Queen Mary University of London
Vivekananda Professor University of Chicago, 2014-15
Indian history since c.1700, British imperial history, global history.
- The Local Roots of Indian Politics. Allahabad 1880-1920 (1975)
- Rulers, Townsmen and Bazaars. North Indian Society in the Age of British Expansion, 1780-1870 (1983)
- Indian Society and the Making of the British Empire (1988)
- Imperial Meridian. The British Empire and the World, 1780-1830 (1989)
- Empire and Information. Intelligence gathering and social communication in India 1780-1870 (1996)
- The Origins of Nationality in South Asia (1997)
- The Birth of the Modern World. Global Connections and Comparisons 1780-1914 (2004)
- Forgotten Armies. The Fall of British Asia 1941-45 with Dr Tim Harper (2004)
- with Dr Tim Harper on Forgotten Wars: revolution and the end of empire in British Asia, 1945-55 (2008).
- Recovering Liberties. Indian thought in the age of liberalism and empire (2011)